Publications and Conferences
Smith, C. H. (2018). ‘The Tesla Problem: Trolleys, Proximity, and Duty’. Ephemeris, (5): 22-32. [Available online].
Smith, C. H. (2018). ‘Do Companies Treat Their Employees Merely as Means to Ends? Kantian business ethics and the case of workplace surveillance’. Dialectic, VXII (1):1-8. [Available online].
Smith, C. (2017). Orwellian Nationalism as the Liberal Democratic Convention. Critique, (4):31-39. [Available online].
- Presented ‘Moral Surveillance? Democratic Discourse and the Habermasian Critique of Untargeted Mass Surveillance’ at the ‘LSE Undergraduate Political Review’ (2018, London)
- Presented ‘The Tesla Problem: Trolleys, Proximity, and Duty’ at the ‘Southampton Undergraduate Philosophy Conference’ (2018, Southampton)
- Presented ‘Orwellian Nationalism as the Liberal Democratic Convention’ at the ‘Durham Philosophy Society’s Undergraduate Conference’ (2017, Durham)
- Attended ‘The Ethics and Politics of Online Interaction’ (2019, Oxford)
- Attended ‘Privacy in the New Public Sphere, its Value and its Threats’ (2018, London)
- Attended ‘Tracking People: Looking to the Future’ (2017, Leeds/London)
- Attended ‘Worldwide Symposium and Roundtable on Confucian Political Philosophy’ (2017, HKU)
N.B. I’m in the process of adding more to this section.
View all of my online philosophical posts here, or peruse the most recent entries below:
- Presentation: Durham Philosophy Society Undergraduate Conference 2017 - If you find yourself in the North-East of England this weekend at a loose end, then you should head along to the Durham Philosophy Society Undergraduate Conference. I'm delighted to be able to share that I'll be presenting my forthcoming… Continue Reading
- How a Year Abroad can make you Happy – Derren Brown and Stoicism - If you’re not a philosopher, then Derren Brown’s new book, Happy: Why More or Less Everything is Absolutely Fine, may be a pleasant surprise. It’s an accessible foray into stoicism, an ancient greek philosophy that’s gaining momentum in the modern… Continue Reading
- Waynflete Essay: A Psychological Exploration of Religion - "Religion is an illusion and it derives its strength from the fact that it falls in with our instinctual desires." — Sigmund Freud (New Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis, 1932) As part of my final two years of high school studies, what… Continue Reading
- Undergraduate Dissertation: Habermas & Surveillance Ethics - 23rd April 2018: Thirty drafts and numerous rounds of feedback and editing later, I am pleased to say that I finally submitted my final-year dissertation today (a few days early!). I'm really quite proud of it. The final title was:… Continue Reading